Prior Notification is required before arriving
Considerations for night flying operations:
- During night flight operations 04-22, the taxiway next to the runway is not in use.
- There are no taxiway lights, use the airplanes own lights when taxing from holding point BRAVO to ALPHA and when taxing to the hangars at the end of RWY 22
- Runway lights can be used according to the instructions below
RWY Light control using the radio
Edge, and threshold lights have been installed on runway 04/22. Threshold/end lights show green in the direction of the threshold and red in the direction of the end. Directions 22/04 cannot be controlled separately, but a green threshold light is always visible in both directions when the lights are on. The windsock light turns on at the same time as the runway lights.
Control is done by pressing the send button at the COM frequency of 122.825 MHz. The system tells you the status of the light in English. The system has been tested to work at an altitude of 1200 ft ASL at a distance of five NM from the field.
Send button presses must be 0.3–2s long, and there must be 0.3–2s long pauses between them. The series of presses must be done within 15 seconds.
There must be at least a 2s pause before the series, and at least a 3s pause after the last press of the series before the next transmission. If there are too many presses, the command is ignored.
- The lights are switched on for 20 minutes by pressing the send button 7 times.
- The control system switches the lights to level 3, and indicates the brightness of the lights and the remaining time with the following message over the radio: NUMMELA LIGHTS INTENSITY 3, 20 MINUTES.
- After 10 minutes, the system announces: NUMMELA LIGHTS INTENSITY 3, 10 MINUTES.
- After 5 minutes, the system announces: NUMMELA LIGHTS INTENSITY 3. 5 MINUTES.
- 1 minute before switching off, the system announces: NUMMELA LIGHTS INTENSITY 3, 1 MINUTE.
- 10 seconds before switching off, the system announces: NUMMELA LIGHTS INTENSITY 3, 10 SECONDS.
- The brightness of the lights will flash during the last 10 seconds before turning off. If you are at the end or at the threshold, and you hear the 10-second announcement OR lights intensity varies, abort the approach and switch the lights on again.
The lights can be dimmed by pressing the send button 5 times (INTENSITY 1). Before this, the lights must be switched on with 7 presses. The new 7 presses raise the brightness again to level 3 (INTENSITY 3).
The new control extends the lighting time up to 20 minutes from the moment of control.
If the lights are on, but there are no notifications, the transmitter may be faulty, or the lights have been turned on manually.